Our Work in Web Application Design & Services
Aditya Birla Group- Corporate Economic Cell Intranet
Intranet for a particular department of a large Group
The Aditya Birla Group is India's first and leading multinational corporation, with a workforce of around 100,000 employees from 25 different nationalities. The US $24 billion conglomerate has a market cap of US $31.5 billion and figures in the prestigious Fortune 500 list of top companies worldwide.
The Corporate Economic Cell (CEC) is a separate unit within the Aditya Birla Group that controls the intranet.
The Aditya Birla Group is a huge conglomerate with an enormous work force. It felt the need for an intranet solution that would increase interaction among employees from several branches of Aditya Birla Group.
The platform had to provide instant information to employees from various divisions of Aditya Birla Group. The main task was to quickly notify all the employees about decisions made, find out their opinions on new projects, and encourage them to share their knowledge.
The intranet had to be interactive and work as a knowledge center. The group wanted to bring people together from all departments through the intranet, and encourage them to visit it at least once a day. The intranet had to operate as an independent entity within the corporate intranet website, Adityadisha.
- The main challenge was to design a simple and user-friendly application that could be operated and modified regularly but independently by an internal CEC administrator of the Aditya Birla Group.
- The intranet being developed had to be accessed and used by all the companies under the Aditya Birla Group yet only the CEC department had the authority to modify it.
- The navigation and content of the CEC had to be made in such a way that it could be modified at second and third levels. It needed to have the facility to add links at the second and third levels easily.
- The intranet also needed to allow users to add reports, charts and graphs instantly.
The intranet was to be handled and updated by an internal administrator appointed by CEC, so there could be enormous variations in the amount and type of content and images. Depending on the updates, the format of the intranet also had to change simultaneously.
- The modifications made in the application by the administrator had to be implemented in real time.
The Approach & Solution
- A content management system (CMS) was developed using Microsoft Technology (DotNet). This application resided on the group’s server as a micro-site within the main site (Adityadisha). This site was accessible from all office locations where the intranet could be accessed.
- Registered members could access this application over the Internet through the main site.
- A simple formatted application that could be controlled by an internal administrator of the Aditya Birla Group was created. The intranet was structured in a way that any page for the main site could be added, edited and deleted only from the administration section of CEC.
- As administration would put up regular updates on the site, a static template would not fit in the bill. So a few templates were created for the admin user to be used as per the requirement of the layout.
- The site was developed using CMS to source content and share knowledge for Aditya Groups internal use.
- To enhance the interactivity and popularity of the intranet, various flexible components were added to it, including navigation flexibility, poll updates, and tickers.
- The word editor used was simple and compatible with the system. The CMS created by Puretech Digital could also be manipulated easily by administration.
Puretech Digital had to face and overcome many complexities to develop the intranet. The success of the intranet among the Aditya Birla staff became evident in just 15 days. Many referrals are noted on the intranet. The regular updates, internal news and simple format have also made this application a spontaneous hit with all the Group members.
The main challenge in developing the site was to keep it user-friendly, yet easily modifiable.